Friday, July 17, 2009

Here's one book you need to stay away from

Not because it's corrosive or, on the opposite, overwhelmingly addictive, but because we need to give its author as little encouragement as we possibly can, lest he make more. I'm talking about The Joe Who Ain't a Plumber – he's written (or, more correctly I think, has paid a professional ghostwriter) a book, which effectively raises the number of books he's ever read to one. (Not that it would surprise me much if he'd just spewed random idiocy without even double-checking afterwards, however.)

Perhaps the best part (or the worst, depending on how you see it) is the tome's title ... Joe the Plumber: Fighting for the American Dream.

Oh dear God.

And guess where it's being primarily advertised? Plastered on the pages of WingNutDaily.

Joe the Plumber said the best advice he can give to citizens who are frustrated with intrusive government is to stop voting along party lines and begin electing leaders who will abide by the nation's founding document.

"Learn the Constitution," he said. "Then when someone wants to be elected, hold their feet to the fire and make them follow it because that's what we need to get back to. It works so well when we follow it. Forget party politics. Learn the Constitution and vote the best American in, not the best Democrat or Republican."

Must ... not ... choke ... on ... irony ... overload ...

Wurzelbacher said Americans must remind politicians that they "work for us."

Okay, this doesn't tick me off just because JtP said it, but because I've never agreed with the saying that "politicians work for us" to begin with. It's a little pet peeve of mine, but when we follow and abide by their rules that they enact or repel, that pretty much makes them in charge, I think. We might elect them and place them in power, but once they're there, control is in their hands, not ours. Unless authority is a relative concept.

As can be expected, the article isn't so much about the book as it is basic hero-worship for JtP, and much of it isn't worth reading, much less commenting on. But one last bit at the end should act to make you question the sanity and/or credibility of this guy:

Asked if he has plans to run for public office, he replied, "I hope not. You know, I talked to God about that and he was like, 'No.'"

He continued, "I believe he's gotten me on this grassroots movement. If I can encourage leaders to step up, that's what I would like to do. That's a heavy role. That's something I don't know if I am prepared to do yet."

But Wurzelbacher said he will keep that door open if God ever calls him to be that leader.

"I just know whenever I fall off his path, things get really hard," he said. "So I just stick with what God tells me to do."

Let's hope, seriously, that this moron never runs for office especially under the premise that "God told me it was the right thing to do". You could then expect him to gain office virtually instantly with the number of gormless voters out there.

Sidenote: * * * * * *
The bottom end of the article links to a "related offer" so outstanding in its name that I just had to snap a screenshot:

So asking a bunch of ignorant and dumbass questions to a guy whose intelligence could beat JtP's intelligence with one fist behind its back, steal its lunch money and lock it in a closet, counts as "standing up to" Obama? Wow.

(via Dispatches from the Culture Wars)


0 comments:

Post a Comment

You can post any sort of feedback or questions you like, just as long as you abide by the rules detailed in the About section. =)