Saturday, February 21, 2009

I love this song

The 'Who Killed Mary?' music video, from Richard Marx's 'Hazard'.

This was one of those songs I grew up with way back in those bygone ages called the '90s'. I've just recently fallen in love with it again.

The song (and the video) tells the story of Marx's character, a man who's always been prejudiced against by the folks in the small town where they lived (Hazard, in Nebraska). Eventually a woman named Mary comes along, the first person to see him for who he is instead of the rumors and lies, and he falls in love with her. They like to go down by the river and walk, she'd love to watch sunsets, etc.

One night she disappears (the video confirms her death by strangling, though she just disappears indefinitely in the song) and Marx's character, still demonized by the townspeople, is blamed for her death, yet he maintains his innocence throughout ('I swear I left her by the river ... I swear I left her safe and sound'). The end is left open to interpretation. (See the 'Who Killed Mary?' section in Wikipedia's article about the song.)

Sad story, no? The kind I seem to lean towards the most, oddly enough ...


0 comments:

Post a Comment

You can post any sort of feedback or questions you like, just as long as you abide by the rules detailed in the About section. =)