Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Uncle Hub's 'What every boy needs to know to become a man' speech

I've had this stuck in my head for the last couple of days, ever since I finally found and rewatched that wonderful movie, Tim McCanlies' Secondhand Lions. One part has been usurping my thoughts, I ain't even sure why (these things happen to me; I get obsessed about trivial and/or random things): Uncle Hub's 'What Every Boy Needs to Know to Become a Man' speech that he reportedly gives to to all the young'uns he meets when they're about to become an adult. Don't worry, ladies – it's so fantastic, it can apply perfectly well to the female sex as well. :)

In the movie, he gives a short little excerpt to young Walter when the latter asks him if all the wonderful stories he's heard are true or not. Here it is below, paraphrasing from memory.

Sometimes, the things that may or may not be true, are the things that a man needs to believe in the most. That people are basically good. That honor, virtue and courage mean everything; that money and power, power and money, mean nothing. That good always triumphs over evil. And remember this, this is the most important: true love ... True love never dies. It doesn't matter if those things are true. A man needs to believe in them, because those are the things worth believing in.

— Hub McCann (Robert Duvall), Secondhand Lions

Such a beautiful excerpt. Makes me wish he could fill me in with the rest of it. As I said in my doting review, every kid on Earth should have relatives or friends like those two old men around.

Although I may not exactly agree with all those things being true, those certainly are the sorts of values 'worth believing in'. Everyone, no matter who or what you are, needs to believe in something. Everyone needs a rock, a crutch, to lean on, to provide support, when life kicks their legs out from under them. Shit will happen now and again, can't run or hide from it, and when it hits you, you need something to hold on to to keep you up and keep you from losing hope (and possibly more). It doesn't matter what; an idea, a dream, a hope, a feeling or conviction, a person, a song; anything. Everyone needs to believe in something, even if they don't know what the hell they believe, or should believe, in anyway. We need that support and comfort. Some choose religion; some choose faith in people; some choose science and logic; etc. I don't even know what I believe in, myself. In inevitability, perhaps – what will happen, will happen, so no use trying to prevent it or counteract it, you'll just be kicked in the balls and thrown into a dumpster. (Metaphorically.)

Sorry for the totally, completely and entirely random entry that this is; but hell, this is a blog for anything the hell I feel like saying, so damned if I'll stop myself. :P


1 comments:

  • Unknown

    Yup. I don't believe that people are basically good. I wish they were. I stumbled upon this looking for the whole speech myself. One of the best speeches ever.

Post a Comment

You can post any sort of feedback or questions you like, just as long as you abide by the rules detailed in the About section. =)