Wednesday, July 08, 2009

Vox Day: blinded with misogyny or just plain stupid?

The supposedly genius game designer and sexist bigot can't even understand the point of this article he quoted, or why it's perfectly normal, even expected, to feel sorry for the woman:

Forget the poor guy who just lost his job. The real problem is the terrible pressure to provide for the family this now puts on his working wife!

When she first heard the news, "there was a sinking in the pit of my stomach — and tears," she says. "It was just devastating. It's completely outside your power, and now you're responsible for the entire family," says Janosek, who like many wives who work, brought in roughly one-third of the family's income but is now the principal breadwinner. "You worry about losing everything. It's just overwhelmingly scary — and there are no resources for spouses." Janosek was able to increase her work hours, and her husband now has some contract work, which has helped — but it hardly solves the problem. "I am still angry about it," she says.

Stories like this demonstrate what a complete crock the whole equality charade is. Why in the name of Betty Friedan should anyone feel any sympathy whatsoever for a married woman suddenly being handed the same responsibility borne by most married men throughout the entire history of civilization?

You can't help but wonder: is he for real? Hard to imagine someone with a supposedly sky-high IQ saying something so utterly ... dumb. (I'd mention how misogynistic it is but that's a given with Vox.) So apparently, you can feel sorry for the guy alright (which is also normal and expected, of course), but not for the wife who now has been imposed twice the workload and responsibilities as the primary breadwinner for their family. Nah, who cares about her? Only the husband has the right to be pitied.

And as for his line about why anyone should feel sorry for "a married woman suddenly being handed the same responsibility borne by most married men throughout the entire history of civilization" – I really wish he were just being facetious. 'Cause that is one insensitive, ignorant and generally dumbass line.

Let's hope this guy never starts to pine for female company – I wonder how many years of reformed conduct it would take before women in general stopped regarding him as something that oozed out of the nearest port-a-potty?


3 comments:

  • uzza

    To think I got on your case the other day for sounding sexist; now I feel stupid.  I made the mistake of reading the comments over there. Are these people even human?  Bath now. 

    "oozing out of a porta-potty" .... WIN!

  • Joé McKen

    Heh, no hard feelings. =) I know I come off strong when I get to write about things that piss me off or that seem unfair, I often do rub people the wrong way unintentionally. My bad. =(

    (And that port-a-potty comment is a result of my being a fanatic of Mike Rowe's Dirty Jobs which was playing just minutes before I wrote that post. :P)

  • Joé McKen

    Heh, no hard feelings. =) I know I come off strong when I get to write about things that piss me off or that seem unfair, I often do rub people the wrong way unintentionally. My bad. =( 
     
    (And that port-a-potty comment is a result of my being a fanatic of Mike Rowe's Dirty Jobs which was playing just minutes before I wrote that post. :P)

Post a Comment

You can post any sort of feedback or questions you like, just as long as you abide by the rules detailed in the About section. =)